The system of education in Hollyford in the early nineteenth century was much the same as in most rural areas. Before Emancipation in 1829 it was deemed illegal to educate Catholics. As a result what was known as the Hedge School system was employed. A teacher was employed privately to teach children under cover of hedges or sheltered areas. Later they were known as pay Schools. The last pay school teacher in Hollyford was Michael Tierney. After Emancipation in 1829 a new school was built in the grounds of the Church which then was only about eight years old. This school served its purpose until 1891 when the present School was opened. A comprehensive history of that School is available in another Publication.