In the latter part of the nineteenth century Hollyford Creamery was privately owned and operated by a family named Stokes. They sold it to an English based company named Co-Operative Wholesale Society. It seems this arrangement did not work. The C.W.S decided to sell. Hollyford Co-Operative Agricultural and Dairy Society, through a system of shares, purchased the creamery. That Co-Op was founded in 1903 and, under various Managers and Committees, operated successfully until amalgamation with Mitchelstown Creameries in 1974.
As a result of Creamery amalgamation the milk produced in the Hollyford area was processed in Mitchelstown. This resulted in the loss of jobs in Hollyford as milk separation and butter making ceased. In 1995 the Creamery was demolished and the store trade is operated by one man on a three day week basis. From employing ten people fifty years ago to just the one being employed there now.